- We all want comfort. And much of this comfort comes from certainty. Of course there is no ABSOLUTE certainty, but we want certainty the car will start, the water will flow from the tap when we turn it on and the currency we use will hold its value.
- Variety. At the same time we want certainty, we also crave variety. Paradoxically, there needs to be enough UNcertainty to provide spice and adventure in our lives.
- Significance. Deep down, we all want to be important. We want our life to have meaning and significance. I can imagine no worse a death than to think my life didn’t matter.
- Connection/Love. It would be hard to argue against the need for love. We want to feel part of a community. We want to be cared for and cared about.
- Growth. There could be some people who say they don’t want to grow, but I think they’re simply fearful of doing so-or perhaps NOT doing so. To become better, to improve our skills, to stretch and excel may be more evident in some than others, but it’s there.
- Contribution. The desire to contribute something of value-to help others, to make the world a better place than we found it is in all of us.